CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 21, 2008

New Stuff

I have lots of new stuff to show you. For a couple of them, I am just going to show you through a link. It's a song called Love Me Dead by Ludo: http://musicislife3168.blogspot.com/2008/06/love-me-dead.html


This is another link to the same blog. It's for a beautiful String Quartet: http://musicislife3168.blogspot.com/2008/06/vitamin-string-quartet-new-spin-on-old.html


Alright, now down to business. First, I am going to review an album by Panic(!) At The Disco. It's their latest album Pretty. Odd.









I have to say that I was a little disappointed with this album and some of the choices Panic(!) made along with it. One reason is because some of the songs in A Fever You Can't Sweat Out were really great, like But It's Better If You Do; Build God, Then We'll Talk; Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off; I Write Sins Not Tragedies and Time To Dance. Unfortunately, Panic(!) chose to go for a more soft-rock, upbeat, Beatles-like side of their music and with some Alice in Wonderland and happy, lovey lyrics they came up with something, well, Pretty. Odd. Also, they chose to get rid of the ! in their name on January 9th. I thought that was one on the best things about their name and the only reason I ever bothered to look them up is because I thought the exclamation was awesome when I saw the name in Fall Out Boy's video for Thanks For The Memories.

But I have to commend them for the courage to withstand the pressure of writing music like everyone else. I love how they brought back that old feel to music and the Beatles-like stuff. They probably knew that's that everyone was going to criticize them, but they were ready. Also, I loved them even more after reading this quote by Ryan Ross: "I try to think of the person who's worked an eight-hour day, the person who gets in the car and puts on their radio. I'd like them to hear a song that makes them feel happy for three minutes rather than something that makes them more depressed than they already are. We're not afraid to write about love or being happy. We have an entire culture that is either provocative or negative. It's so geared toward being shocking that it no longer manages to shock. They've pushed it as far as they can go both sexually and in terms of anger. Which is why we're here, to provide something different." I think Ryan's dead on with this quote and after reading this I have more respect and admiration for the music they have on Pretty. Odd. I also have to say that the exclamation point doesn't really fit the new feel of the band and their music, anyway.


Therefore, I neither love nor hate this album, but I think it's Pretty. Good. Here are the songs:

1. We're So Starving
2. Nine In the Afternoon
3. She's a Handsome Woman
4. Do You Know What I'm Seeing?
5. That Green Gentleman (Things Have Changed)
6. I Have Friends In Holy Spaces
7. Northern Downpour
8. When the Day Met the Night
9. Pas de Cheval
10. The Piano Knows Something I Don't Know
11. Behind the Sea
12. Folkin' Around
13. She Had the World
14. From a Mountain In the Middle of the Cabins
15. Mad As Rabbits



I encourage you all to listen to the album and watch the videos:
Nine In the Afternoon
That Green Gentleman
Mad As Rabbits



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------



I would like to share with you a video I saw on Fuse yesterday in their #1 countdown. I think it came in at #6.

That's What You Get- Paramore




That's What You Get- Paramore

No sir, well I don't wanna be the blame, not anymore.
It's your turn, to take a seat we're settling the final score.
And why do we like to hurt, so much?

I can't decide
You have made it harder just to go on
And why?
All the possibilities...
Well I was wrong

That's what you get when you let your heart win. Whoa!
That's what you get when you let your heart win. Whoa...
I drown out all my sense with the sound of its beating.
And that's what you get when you let your heart win. Whoa.

I wonder, how am I supposed to feel when you're not here.
'Cause I burned every bridge I ever built when you were here.
I still try... holding onto silly things, I never learn.
Oh why? All the possibilities. I'm sure you've heard.

That's what you get when you let your heart win. Whoa!
That's what you get when you let your heart win. Whoa..
I drown out all my sense with the sound of its beating.
And that's what you get when you let your heart win. Whoa.

Hey, make your way to me. (to me)
And I'll always be just so inviting.
If I ever start to think straight,
This heart will start a riot in me,
Let's start... Start, hey!

Why do we like to hurt so much?
Oh why do we like to hurt so much?

That's what you get when you let your heart win!
Whoa.

That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.

Now I can't trust myself with anything but this,
And that's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Thanks for linking to music.is.life! Glad you liked Love Me Dead and the Quartet!
The first time I heard Pretty. Odd I couldn't stop laughing. The new music was so out there, so different ... I described it as "hippie", no insult intended. A part of me really liked it and a part of me thought it was a little too sunshine-and-butterflies. But let me tell you, these songs have really grown on me. I can say I really really like this album now; my favorite songs are Nine in the Afternoon, That Green Gentleman (Things Have Changed), Northern Downpour, When The Day Met The Night, Pas de Cheval, and The Piano Knows Something I Don't Know.
I love That's What You Get by Paramore; not so fond of the music video, though. Do you know what countdown in was on? I'm glad to see it made it on the list!

Nice post! <3

Jenna said...

Omg I'm obsessed with this template too! I almost used it ... glad I didn't! It looks great on this blog! <3